Close Menu
  • News
  • Featured
  • Electric Cars
  • Luxury Cars
  • Reviews
  • Advice
What's Hot

Driver’s POV: Watch the Bugatti Tourbillon’s V16 rev like a superbike

August 23, 2026

Volkswagen launches ID.3 Neo in the UK with 390 miles of range

August 23, 2026

BYD’s new EV sedan is the size of a Tesla Model 3, half the price

August 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Motors MachineMotors Machine
  • News
  • Featured
  • Electric Cars
  • Luxury Cars
  • Reviews
  • Advice
Motors MachineMotors Machine
Home»Electric car»NJ Dealer Claims Polestar Intentionally Quit The U.S. With Government Ban As Cover Up
Electric car

NJ Dealer Claims Polestar Intentionally Quit The U.S. With Government Ban As Cover Up

SofiaBy SofiaAugust 13, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


Polestar recently announced its decision to leave the U.S. market due to the Connected Vehicle Rule that bans cars with software linked to countries such as China and Russia. However, the announcement seemed odd, considering that Volvo, Polestar’s Geely-owned sister company recently received a special authorization from the Department of Commerce to continue selling connected cars stateside.

That suspicion is now the basis of a lawsuit by New Jersey Polestar dealer Prestige Imports, who’s claiming that Polestar had been planning its U.S. exit for two years and used the government ruling as a cover up.

According to Automotive News, Prestige Imports is suing Polestar for violating New Jersey’s Franchise Practices Act. The act claims that a company can terminate a franchise if the dealer breached any of its agreements or obligations. The lawsuit alleges that Polestar did not give its dealers the required 60-day notice or provide any “good cause.”



2026 Polestar 3 (European specification)

2026 Polestar 3 (European specification)

Photo by: Polestar

Polestar claims that the U.S. government forced its hand, as the Department of Commerce declined to renew the company’s authorization to continue selling vehicles in the country. However, the lawsuit alleges that Polestar had similar opportunity as Volvo to continue selling cars here. Volvo had to jump through a bunch of hoops, and meet certain requirements, but it was apparently willing to comply. Prestige Imports is accusing Polestar of willfully declining to meet those requirements or jump through any hoops. 

“Polestar screwed Polestar, it wasn’t screwed by the U.S. government,” Bernie Moreno, Republican Senator from Ohio, told CBT News in July. “[there was] a very exhaustive and tough list that Volvo had to follow. Volvo chose to follow it. Polestar used it as a convenient excuse.” 

See also  Ford patents solid axle with hub motors for EVs

Moreno claims that Polestar was losing as much as $35,000 per car in the U.S. So rather than decide to pull out in a timely fashion and give dealers the proper notice, it used the restrictions as a pretext. 

Now, at first, that might just sound like a sour dealer and a government official trying to pin the blame on Polestar. However, Sweden’s Minister for Foreign Trade Benjamin Dousa said that he worked very closely with Volvo to make sure it met the requirements to stay in the U.S. but Polestar didn’t ask for the same help. 



Polestar 4, the test

“I was personally very involved in the Volvo Cars issue and traveled with CEO Hakan Samuelsson to Washington and did what I could to ensure that the company would receive its license,” Dousa said, per Automotive News. “But Polestar has not asked for help.”

Polestar also never appealed the U.S. ruling, which doesn’t help the suspicion. So the lawsuit essentially claims the Polestar knew it wouldn’t meet the requirements to stay. That way, it could exit quickly and seem as if its hand was forced. Making matters worse for dealers is that the suit also claims that Polestar continuously pushed dealers to invest, and as recently as February 2026, agreed to a multiyear expansion, all while knowing it would eventually leave the country. 


We want your opinion!

What would you like to see on Insideevs.com?


Take our 3 minute survey.

– The InsideEVs team



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Sofia

Related Posts

Volkswagen launches ID.3 Neo in the UK with 390 miles of range

August 23, 2026

BYD’s new EV sedan is the size of a Tesla Model 3, half the price

August 23, 2026

Ford’s EV pickup arrives in 2027 with more than an affordable price

August 23, 2026

Rivian’s 2027 R1S adds captain’s chairs, its most-requested feature

August 22, 2026

Urban Arrow enters the longtail cargo e-bike market in US with its new Breeze

August 22, 2026

Hyundai opens IONIQ 3 EV orders, starting at about $30,000

August 22, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

Getting Lost in The Land Rover Trek Competition

December 12, 2021

A Brief History in Zero to 60 MPH

December 12, 2021

‘Tis the Season for Car Bows

December 12, 2021
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Latest Reviews
Reviews

Is Ford Considering A Cheap Rally Car? Sure Sounds Like It

By SofiaAugust 22, 2026
Reviews

Tesla Design Boss Protects Model S Plaid Signature #001

By SofiaAugust 21, 2026
Reviews

Skoda’s New Sedan Has Messaging Rear Seats

By SofiaAugust 20, 2026
Most Popular

Vauxhall Astra Electric review

January 31, 2025

Chevy brings first electric pace car, EV.R prototype to Daytona 500

February 16, 2025

Scout extended-range PHEV tech, platform could be scaled to other vehicles

February 11, 2025
Subscribe
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
  • Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 Almaville Media.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.